- ticket title
- Absence of Multilateral Trade System Threatens Sustainable Development, Delegates Stress as Second Committee Takes Up Macroeconomic Policy Questions
- NAG Interior Ministry’s Undersecretary meets with the President of the National Civil Aviation Security Program.
- NAG Minister of Justice meets Deputy Head of the UN Humanitarian Mission in Libya.
- Sarraj meets with Gharyan city’s delegation in Tripoli.
- Third Committee Delegates Applaud Gains in Children’s Access to Health Care, Legal Protections, while Decrying Deadly Impact of Conflict on Their Development
About this Operation
On 23 March 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported that the Guinean Ministryof Health had notified WHO of a rapidly evolving outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease(EVD, or “Ebola”) in forested areas in south eastern Guinea. Despite the efforts made bythe governments, the spread of the disease has affected Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria,the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Senegal, claiming over 3,000 lives, and potentially affecting over one million people, as regular trade and services are disrupted. The scale of outbreak is unprecedented, and has the serious social, economic andsecurity implications for the affected countries, and the region.
Although Ghana attained middle income status in 2010 following the discovery of oil, it ranks 138 out of 187 countries in the 2014 Human Development Report and is classified as a low-income, food-deficit country….
Despite the abundance of natural resources in Guinea, its population endures high poverty and malnutrition rates. Since 2000, the country has experienced socio-economic adversity….
Endowed with vast and varied natural resources, a large biodiversity, lush vegetation and a climate favorable to agriculture, Liberia has enormous potential in mining and ecotourism, as well as food and cash crop production….
Although Sierra Leone has great natural resources, the decade-long civil war severely devastated the country’s economy, destroyed infrastructure and caused large-scale human suffering….