Thursday, 9/4/2020 | 12:53 UTC+0
Libyan Newswire

Update: Libyas warring sides pull out of Geneva peace talks

GENEVA Representatives from Libyas warring sides have suspended their participation in United Nations-sponsored peace talks aimed at bringing an end to more than 10 months of fighting.

The move came despite assurances by a spokesperson for the world governing body that negotiations would still go ahead.

Ahmaida Erouhma who leads the eastern sides Geneva committee said his factions refusal to take part in the negotiations is due to the UNs approval of only eight of 13 names his side put forward for the delegation.

Later the internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli said it would not take part in the negotiations until progress was made on military negotiations.

It is in light of conclusions [from military discussions] that the high council would decide to take part or not in political dialogue the Tripoli governments high state council said.

The development came just hours after the UN Libya mission said in a statement that senior military figures from both sides agreed to submit a draft ceasefire agreement to their leaderships before meeting again next month.

The UN had planned to bring together legislators from both sides of Libyas conflict on Wednesday to end the fighting over Tripoli as part of a dialogue that encompasses military political and economic strands.

A spokesman for the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said on Monday that the political dialogue would still take place.

The Libyan political dialogue will go ahead as previously scheduled on 26 February Jean El Alam told reporters.

Many participants have already arrived in Geneva and we hope all invited participants follow suit he said.

Khaled el-Mechri a member of the GNA-affiliated High State Council said authorities in Tripoli would not be bound by the outcome of political talks if they went ahead before knowing the military dialogues conclusions.

The government which nearly walked out of the Geneva talks last week blamed Haftars forces for shelling Tripolis port shortly after the negotiations got under way.

Several rounds of talks focused on economic issues including fairer distribution of Libyas oil wealth have also taken place in Egypt and Tunisia.

Libya has been in turmoil since a 2011 NATO-backed uprising killed longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi with rival armed factions still vying for power.

The fightings has killed more than 1000 people and displaced some 140000 according to the UN.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

-->