- ticket title
- Absence of Multilateral Trade System Threatens Sustainable Development, Delegates Stress as Second Committee Takes Up Macroeconomic Policy Questions
- NAG Interior Ministry’s Undersecretary meets with the President of the National Civil Aviation Security Program.
- NAG Minister of Justice meets Deputy Head of the UN Humanitarian Mission in Libya.
- Sarraj meets with Gharyan city’s delegation in Tripoli.
- Third Committee Delegates Applaud Gains in Children’s Access to Health Care, Legal Protections, while Decrying Deadly Impact of Conflict on Their Development
11 Dec 2014
• Fighting for human rights is a daily duty that we can never give up, according to the Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations. The UN official was at the Schomburg Centre for Research in Black Culture, located in Harlem, New York, where he spoke at an event to mark Human Right Day. On 10 December, the UN also launched the International Decade for People of African Descent.
“Careless statements” result in persecution of LGBTI in Zambia
• Careless public statements made in Zambia for political gain, result in violent persecution of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex or LGBTI community, according to a Zambian activist. Members of this community get beaten up or poisoned the activist adds. He says dialogue and understanding are very important in addressing the issue of homophobia not only in Zambia but around the world.
Reports of UN creating protectorate in South Sudan “baseless“
• The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has categorically denied any plan to place the country under international protection. Media reports had suggested that the move was imminent due to a break-down in peace talks.South Sudan continues to suffer instability as a result of fighting between the government and rebels which has displaced about two million peoople.
Producer/Presenter: Derrick Mbatha
Production Assistant: Florence Poblete-Enriquez
Studio Engineer: Zach Prewit