- ticket title
- German Government: We Expect Sustainable Ceasefire In Libya
- Italian Foreign Minister: EU Approves Mission To Prevent Weapons Entering Libya
- Algerian Foreign Minister Arrives In Tripoli
- As Libya talks resume in Geneva, UN negotiator seeks to overcome sticking points
- UN-Backed Government in Libya Suspends Talks After Attack
TRIPOLI, -- The acting United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Libya, Dr. Syed Jaffar Hussain expressed deep concerns at recent attacks in Benghazi that put medical facilities at risk and urged all parties to take all feasible precautions to prevent casualties among patients and medical personnel.
The ENT and Urological Center in Benghazi, the Benghazi Medical Center and Aljalaa Hospital all were hit by the recent attacks.
According to a statement issued by the UN Support Mission in Libya, Dr. Hussain strongly condemned the violence, attacks and threats against medical personnel and humanitarian personnel engaged in medical duties, their means of transport and equipment, as well as hospitals and other medical facilities.
Reiterating the primary responsibility to ensure respect for the principles and rules of international humanitarian law and in accordance with the UN Security Council resolution 2286, the acting humanitarian coordinator deplored the long-term consequences of such attacks for the civilian population and the health-care system the country.
"I am appalled by such attacks that further endanger the patients and medical personnel in the act of delivering medical and humanitarian assistance. I strongly urge all parties [to] fully comply with their obligations under international law, including international human rights law," said Dr. Hussain.
In related developments, a car bomb exploded Friday evening in front of the visitors' entrance at Benghazi's Jalaa Hospital killing five people. Another 13 were wounded. At least three are said to be in critical condition.
Some of the casualties, which include two children, are reported to have been passers-by.
The wounded are being treated at the hospital while the dead were taken to Benghazi Medical Centre.
It is presumed that the bombing was the work of the so-called Daesh or Ansar Al-Sharia both of which have been heavily smashed by the Libyan National Army in recent weeks.
Earlier on Thursday evening, a grenade was thrown into the hospital's reception area, causing significant damage. Some reports said it was a terrorist attacks but the hospital denied it saying it was the action of an individual with a grudge. It is not yet known if that was true or, indeed if the two incidents are linked.
All roads in the area around the hospital have been closed by the police.
Source: Name News Network