- ticket title
- Italian Foreign Minister: New European Treaty on Migration Soon
- United Nations Support Mission in Libya (S/2020/41) [EN/AR]
- Trump administration plans to add Nigeria and six other nations to travel ban list: reports
- Surprise In Belarus, Kyrgyzstan About Reports On Expanded U.S. Travel Ban
- Trump Says U.S. Will Add ‘A Couple’ Of Countries To Travel-Ban List
Hockey Canada receives funding to host the 2015 World Sledge Hockey Challenge in Leduc, Alberta
February 7, 2015 – Leduc, Alberta – Department of Canadian Heritage
On behalf of the Honourable Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport), the Honourable Mike Lake, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Industry and Member of Parliament (Edmonton–Mill Woods–Beaumont), attended the 2015 World Sledge Hockey Challenge and took part in the medal ceremony.
- The Government of Canada, through Sport Canada’s Hosting Program, contributed $45,000 to Hockey Canada to support the hosting of the 2015 World Sledge Hockey Challenge.
- Canada was the defending champion at the World Sledge Hockey Challenge, having defeated the United States in the gold-medal game in Toronto, in December 2013.
- During the tournament, Canada’s National Sledge Hockey Team competed against teams from Russia, South Korea and the United States.
- For the 2014–15 fiscal year, the Government of Canada, through Sport Canada’s Sport Support Program, provided Hockey Canada with approximately $625,500 in funding for their Athletes with Disabilities Program.
- For the 2013–14 fiscal year, the Government of Canada, through Sport Canada’s Athlete Assistance Program, provided 18 sledge hockey athletes with a total of $375,378 to assist them with their living, training and education expenses and allow them to focus on their training.
“We are pleased to support Hockey Canada in hosting the 2015 World Sledge Hockey Challenge and I commend them on a successful tournament. This event is one of over 60 international sport events being hosted in Canada during a very busy Year of Sport in Canada, during which we celebrate sport, our athletes and the role they play in helping to define our cultural identity from coast to coast to coast.”
- The Honourable Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport)
“Hosting the 2015 World Sledge Hockey Challenge represents a great opportunity to demonstrate our support for our Canadian para-athletes as we celebrate the Year of Sport in Canada. This event helped promote the sport of sledge hockey and also served as an important social, cultural and economic driver to benefit the Leduc region.”
- The Honourable Mike Lake, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Industry and Member of Parliament (Edmonton–Mill Woods–Beaumont)
For more information (media only), please contact:
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Bal Gosal, P.C., M.P.
Minister of State (Sport)