- ticket title
- Libya: Russian FM calls for early ceasefire at meeting with UN-backed GNA officials
- EASTERN FORCES QUIT LIBYAN CAPITAL AFTER YEAR-LONG ASSAULT
- Libya: Landmines Left After Armed Group Withdraws [EN/AR]
- Ethiopian Diaspora Champions Digital Apps in Fight Against COVID
- How COVID Is Affecting Elections in Africa
TRIPOLI, Libya- The Libyan Navy said, on Saturday, that, a dinghy carrying 129 migrants to Europe, was robbed by a group of gunmen, off the Libyan coast.
Ayob Qassem, a spokesman of the Libyan navy, said, the gunmen chased in a speedboat, boarded the dinghy and robbed the migrants of their belongings.
The migrants were stranded at sea for hours, as the engine of the boat was also looted, Qassem said.
The migrants, including 27 women and two children, are Sub-Saharan Africans, the spokesman noted.
They were rescued off the Zwara coast in western Libya, he added.
Libya is a preferred point of departure, for illegal immigrants, hoping to cross the Mediterranean into Europe.
Smugglers take advantage of the state of insecurity in Libya, to send thousands of migrants through the sea, many of whom are reported to be drowned on the way.-- NNN-XINHUA
Source: NAM News Network