- ticket title
- Libya: Humanitarian Dashboard (Jan – July 2019)
- Libyan Coast Guard picks up nearly 500 migrants in region surrounding Tripoli
- How Pompeo Took Charge of US Response to Attack on Saudi Oil Fields
- Security Council Committee on Libya Meets with Libyan Investment Authority
- Migrant shooting highlights concern about Libyan coast guard
NNA – A boat carrying hundreds of migrants has capsized off the Greek island of Crete and a major rescue operation is underway, the Greek coastguard said Friday.
“The number of people in distress could be counted in the hundreds,” a spokeswoman for the coastguard said. “People are in the water, boats crossing the area have thrown lifebuoys and are moving to save the migrants.”
The flow into Europe via Greece and the Balkans route, which hundreds of thousands of people used in 2015, has slowed after countries shut their borders.
But a bout of good weather as summer arrives has kicked off a fresh stream of boats trying to make the perilous crossing.
In one of the worst tragedies in the Mediterranean recently, a fishing trawler with some 650 people capsized off the coast of Libya on Wednesday.–AFP