- ticket title
- Ministry of Employment takes part in Local Government Forum
- Alternative Accommodation for Displaced People/Discussed
- Local Government Minister issues resolution to transfer competencies to local administration units
- UN and Red Cross chiefs appeal for end to use of explosive weapons in cities
- European Commission Denies Knowledge of Reports of ‘Violations’ by Libya Coast Guard Elements
The return of a calmer sea at this time of year has, once again, seen an increase in the number of migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean from Libya to European shores, aboard makeshift boats and in appalling conditions. However, that does not mean they actually reach European shores, and the tragedies are continuing. Some 3 000 people have died in the Mediterranean since early 2016.
The Director of the Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA), Michael O’Flaherty, has, moreover, confirmed to Parliament’s Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs that, on average, two children drown each day trying to reach the European continent.
What additional measures can the Commission take in view of these fresh tragedies that are likely to increase throughout the summer?