- ticket title
- Libya: Imported camels evacuated from capital after port comes under fire
- UNHCR Update Libya (21 February 2020)
- UN launches new project to address link between terrorism, arms and crime
- Escalating Burkina Faso violence brings wider Sahel displacement emergency into focus
- Missile attacks fuel UN’s fear for migrants fleeing Libya
28 Aug 2014
• A diversified economy is key to the future of small island developing states, according to the Ambassador of Mauritius to the UN. At the time of independence in 1968 Mauritius was almost wholly dependent on sugar but now the country has a wide range of economic activities. Mauritius is attending the Third International Conference on SIDS in Samoa.
IDPs in South Sudan’s Bentiu town live in “very dire “conditions
• People displaced by the conflict in South Sudan and sheltering at a UN base in Bentiu town live in “very dire” conditions. The UN Humanitarian Coordinator recently led a delegation to the UN Protection of Civilians site situated in oil-rich Unity State. More than 40,000 people are sheltering at the site which has been flooded during the rainy season in the country.
Sudan, “worst crisis” in the world for children
• Sudan is one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world for young people according to the UN Children’s Fund, UNICEF. The agency says that as many as 65% of those people who have fled their homes or become refugees are under the age of 18. So far this year, almost 270,000 people have become newly displaced in the Darfur region alone.
Producer/Presenter: Derrick Mbatha
Production Assistant: Sandra Guy
Studio Engineer: Benji Candelario