- ticket title
- EU condemns presence of foreign mercenaries in Libya
- AMINE GEMAYEL TALKS DEVELOPMENTS WITH TUNISIAN AMBASSADOR
- TURKISH AMBASSADOR: FRANCE TURNS BLIND EYE TO UAE, EGYPT’S VIOLATIONS IN LIBYA
- FRANCE PULLS OUT OF NATO LIBYA FORCE AMID TURKEY TENSIONS
- Libya: Health Sector Bulletin (June 2020)
Muwin Estate Wines Expanding Markets to the UK
April 7, 2015 – New Ross, NS – Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Since production began just four years ago, domestic and international sales for Muwin Estate Wines have nearly tripled. The growth potential shows no signs of letting up. Muwin is now taking steps to increase their production yield in order to meet growing demand for Nova Scotian ciders in UK markets. Parliamentary Secretary Gerald Keddy today announced Government of Canada support for the project.
Muwin (which means Black Bear in Mi’kmaq) is a fruit and grape winery located at Misty Hills Farms near New Ross, Nova Scotia. The winery produces high quality, 100% natural fruit wines, ice wines, dessert wines and ciders under the Red Barn, Northern Compass and Bulwark Traditional Craft Ciders labels.
In 2013, an investment from the Government of Canada, through ACOA, helped Muwin successfully expand its operations and supported growth in Asian export markets. This most recent project will allow the company to once again increase their production capacity through the purchase and installation of specialized wine- and cider-making equipment. The federal investment will further allow Muwin to re-brand their product packaging as their increased production allows them to respond to demand in the world’s largest cider market: the UK.
The Government of Canada is providing Muwin Estate Wines with a $147,500 repayable contribution, through ACOA’s Business Development Program (BDP).
- The UK cider and perry (pear cider) market is, by far, the largest in the world: estimated to be about 940 million litres each year. This represented 55% of the worldwide consumption in 2011 (Ontario Apple Growers and Ontario Craft Cider Association).
- In October 2014, Euromonitor International determined that cider/perry showed strong acceleration in growth. With a total volume sales increase of 13% in 2013 to 27 million litres, current value sales also increased by 16% to reach $209 million (Passport – Cider/Perry in Canada).
- In May of 2014, the founder of Muwin Estate Wines, Dominic Rivard, attended an ACOA-led mission in the UK where he met with several large importers.
- Nova Scotia’s exporters, like Muwin Estate Wines, stand to benefit significantly from the historic Canada-EU Trade Agreement, as the EU is already Nova Scotia’s second-largest trading partner and largest export destination.
“Our Government is pleased to support Muwin Estate Wines, as the company has a proven track record of growth and success. Their equation for measured expansion in well-researched markets is securing opportunities globally and reinforcing Nova Scotia’s international reputation for distinctive, inspired, quality products.”
- Gerald Keddy, Parliamentary Secretary to the to the Minister of Agriculture, to the Minister of National Revenue and for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, and Member of Parliament for South Shore-St. Margaret’s, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (ACOA)
“This next stage for our company will allow us to make our mark in the UK. The potential for our products in this market is astounding and the changes we are making with ACOA’s support make sure we have the tools necessary to meet this market’s demand.”
- Dominic Rivard, Co-owner, Muwin Estate Wines
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of State
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Director, Communications and Outreach
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
902-426-9417 / 902-448-2748 (cell)
Muwin Estate Wines Ltd.