- ticket title
- French Foreign Minister: Libyan Key Players Convinced Solution to Crisis is Political
- Russian Foreign Minister: Armed Confrontation in Libya Created Security Vacuum
- Regular Meeting of Committee for Restructuring Universities Convened
- GNA Minister of Education Meets Deputy UN Special Representative for Humanitarian Affairs
- GNA Minister of Local Government Meets Mayor and Members of Local Council of Derj
NNA – Some 600 migrants, including many children, have arrived in Sicily after being rescued at sea in the past days. The new influx highlights problems with a controversial deal between Italy and Libya on stopping migrants.
The ship, Aquarius, operated by the German group SOS Mediterranee, was carrying many children and families from Syria, as well as people from sub-Saharan Africa.
The arrival marks one of the biggest influxes since Italy struck a deal with Libyan authorities to reduce migrant smuggling, drawing vehement criticism from aid agencies, who say that the human rights situation in Libya is heavily compromised.
Many women on board the Aquarius reported having experienced sexual abuse and violence in Libya before taking a boat for Europe, SOS Mediterranee said.–AP