Sunday, 15/12/2019 | 11:11 UTC+0
Libyan Newswire

Two Italian workers freed in Libya

Italy closed its embassy in Libya in February, warning nationals to leave

Two Italian construction workers kidnapped in Libya have been freed, a local military official has said.

The other hostages may have been killed in a raid by Libya's security forces on Thursday, the Italian foreign ministry said.

The four were abducted last year near a compound owned by Italian oil group Eni in the western Mellitah area.

Libya descended into chaos since the 2011 Nato-led military campaign that overthrew Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.

Two rival governments are vying for legitimacy and territory in Libya and the so-called Islamic State (IS) has gained a foothold in some parts of the country.

Source: Gambia News Online

-->