Earthquake-report.com only survives with (mostly small) PRIVATE DONATIONS. Your gift will be highly appreciated.
This page will automatically refresh every 60 minutes as we might be adding updates. Do not close it but leave it open in a browser tab.
May we kindly ask you to report in the below form if you have some damage from this earthquake (even minor one like cracks).
Update November 13, 12:14 UTC : Some houses in Milan where Red Tagged, which means that the authorities have seen enough structural damage to forbid people to live in them. Other damage is mostly superficial
No comment – Image courtesy and copyright Kansas.com
Red taping this property – Image courtesy and copyright Kansas.com
Update 22:52 UTC : NO more reports of damage so far. Below the webicorder seismogram as recorded in the Grand Teton area, an instrument of the University of Utah. The time will not be exactly like Kansas Wichita people have felt it due to the distance from the epicenter.
Update 22:42 UTC : USGS received felt reports as far as Iowa and Tennessee!
Update 22:40 UTC : Below a twitter picture of a minor crack submitted by Justin Brown in NW Wichita
Update 22:33 UTC : The strongest earthquake in Kansas history was a 5.1, recorded near Manhattan in 1867. Below the seismogram as recorded on a seismograph in Yellowstone NP
Update 22:25 UTC : One resident in north Wichita reported that the quake cracked walls in their living room and dining room. We expect more of this kind of damage but we expect NO major damage or injuries.
Update 22:16 UTC : The origin of this earthquake will be examined by scientists but we guess that the speculation will have started when the shaking started.
Update 22:15 UTC : This is the largest quake since the 2011 Oklahoma M5.6 quake within a 200 miles (320km) radius. Bzfore that there is no record of a larger quake in either Oklahoma or Kansas
Update 22:13 UTC : 22:15 UTC Kansas broke a record today. NO stronger quakes since 1900!
Update 22:06 UTC : USGS expects approx. 1000 people to have sustained a strong shaking and 67000 a moderate shaking
Update 22:03 UTC : The earthquake was felt as far as Texas.
Update 21:59 UTC : USGS has just reported that the preliminary Magnitude is M4.8 at a very shallow depth of 5.4 km! Damage cannot be excluded at this Magnitude and depth!
13km (8mi) S of Conway Springs, Kansas
40km (25mi) SW of Haysville, Kansas
43km (27mi) SW of Derby, Kansas
53km (33mi) SSW of Wichita, Kansas
200km (124mi) N of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Most important Earthquake Data:
Magnitude : 4.9
Local Time (conversion only below land) : 2014-11-12 15:40:01
GMT/UTC Time : 2014-11-12 21:40:01
Depth (Hypocenter) : 10 km
Depth and Magnitude updates in the list below.
Share your earthquake experience (I Have Felt It) with our readers.
Click on the “I Felt It” button behind the corresponding earthquake. Your earthquake experience is not only important for science, but also for people in the area as well as our global readership.
||Nov 12 22:48
||MAP I Felt It
||Nov 12 22:48
||MAP I Felt It
||Conway Springs, Kansas
||Nov 12 21:40
||MAP I Felt It
- Florence – Only felt the trembling, no damage
- Wichita – In office on 6th floor and we felt our cubes shake, the floor shake, the computer monitors shook, and some shifting of building. Lasted about 8 seconds.
- Wichita, KS – Far west Wichita. No damage. Hanging things shook. Felt for about 15-20 seconds.
- Manhattan – Felt the floor move and shook our computer screens. Not bad, but definitely noticeable..
- Kingfisher , Oklahoma – no damage that I know of, computers on desk shaking and chairs we were sitting in.
- Winfield kansas – My house started to shake just a little bit then it got stronger knocked photos off my walls it seemed to have lasted 2 minutes
- Wichita – Thought a truck hit the building or a train derailment nearby (have felt that before!). Felt a swaying and almost dizzy feeling (was standing in a hallway at the time). Noticed the ceiling tiles creaking for about 10-15 seconds. Swore I have felt at least two aftershocks…
- WICHITA – Shaking lasted about 15 seconds. Rattled windows and dishes. Woke up and upset my two indoor dogs.
- Leavenworth, KS – 3rd floor building, sitting in lecture, several of my classmates felt shaking in their chairs and on their desk.
- Wichita – We heard a noise then our chairs shook then Trembled for several seconds after
- Wichita – I was working in the lab on the 4th floor of Hubbard Hall and I felt a rigorous shaking from the ground. Cabinets and glassware were shaking. I was not overly alarmed.
- Manhattan – Felt light shaking enough to move the floor.
- Emporia, KS – For me it felt like someone was ramming the building about 4-5 times, and my desk was thumping. I have an old 1950’s metal desk. For my coworkers in cublices their walls shook and monitors were moving.
- Florence, KS – At home on sofa and hands, phone and sofa started trembling. Not severe but noticeable
- Wichita – House shook for 10 sec..rattling of windows, wall hangings, etc
- Manhattan, KS – I do not know of any damage, but their could have been. We all definitely felt the shaking.
- Great Bend – Im in the second floor of an older building. The windows rattled and then I felt a shaking and then the walls visibly swayed like a wave. It was a little disorienting. No observable cracks in my office that we know of.
- Ogden, KS – At school, at desk, chair rocking from side to side. Also water in water bottle sloshing from side to side. No damage to my knowledge.
- Hays, Kansas – I work in a basement and I felt like I was getting sick….lightheaded and dizzy feeling. Lasted a few seconds. Wasn’t sure what it was until I started reading some reports on here.
- Arkansas City – I heard it then started feeling it. It shook for about 15-20 seconds. No damage discovered as of yet. Scarey!
- Maize – Shook my computer and chair & my T.V., no damages
- Wichita – No damage
- Lincoln, NE – I and a few others felt a very weak back-and-forth movement from the third floor of a building. No damage.
- Oklahoma City – Building and office chair shook/swayed. Blinds and artwork shook for 10-20 seconds. No damage.
- Dodge City – Felt like my loveseat was on a waterbed. Was a little disoriented like motion sickness after.
- Manhattan, KS – Sitting in office and felt shaking
- Noble, OK – Very minimal shaking. Lasted approximately 20 seconds. Live in an RV Motor Home.
- Wichita – Dogs started Barking, house trembled.
- Arkansas City – I first noticed my computer screen shaking, then doors that are held open magnetically, closed on their own. Heard a faint rumbling.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma – Sitting at my desk. Shaking rattled windows for about 20 seconds. No damage. I’ve lived through two major quakes in Southern CA so this was nothing.
- Wichita, Kansas, USA – Spirit AeroSystems Plant II Wood Balcony (over the shop at about a 3rd story level). Felt the floor and desk shake and saw computer monitor shake. Lasted about 45 seconds. No sound like the quakes I’ve experienced growing up near the New Madrid fault zone.
- Emporia – Shook my house, I thought someone had driven a car into the side of the building. I jumped out of my chair to go check outside.
- Tulsa – working at computer, computers shaking back and forth, felt bouncy on my 2nd floor of bldg. heard rumble also.
- Tulsa – 29th floor downtown tulsa felt light shaking and desk movement for about 15-20 secomds
- Tulsa – I felt it! Watching TV & my couch started shaking, heard a crackling sound in the wall. My daughter lives next door, she didn’t feel a thing lol
- drumright oklahoma – I was watching tv and my brother was asleep in the same room. We live in an apt building on 2nd floor. The building really started what i gotta call wobbling for maybe 10 seconds. I yelled. He woke up and hung on. I didnt see any damage outside but intend to look closely tomorrow.
- Norman , OK – No damage, at residence, ground floor:light weight table shaking, and could feel the swaying while standing.
- Hays, Kansas – Felt vibration and shaking through the floor, of a ground floor office building. Other co-workers felt the sensation as well.
- oklahoma city – I noticed the shaking for 3 to 5 seconds.
- Overland Park – No damage. Taking a nap and the bed shook enough for me to notice it.
- rose hill – I heard loud rumbling. Shook the entire house and my chair rocked. Both dogs jumped up and barked excitedly, looking around. I thought my heater wasexploding.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma – Heard the roof creaking for about 5 to 10 seconds. No damage that I’ve noticed.
- Lacygne – Lught shaking, confused it with a train coming at first, then realize there was no train following.
- Wichita – Chair started shaking and rolling, my bulletin boards were knocking against the wall.
- Newton, KS – It felt like I was sitting right next to my washer during a bumpy spin cycle. A shirt that was hanging nearby swayed. Lasted 15-20 seconds or so. First I have ever felt.
- Madison, Alabama – Window vibrations no damage
- Ogden – was reclining on the couch when I heard a distant “boom” and then the couch and my legs rolled side to side for what I thought was about 30 seconds. Knew immediately it was a fairly strong quake some distance away.
- St. Joseph, Missouri – Floor, furniture and windows shook. I knew it was either an earthquake or an explosion.
- Argonia,KS – Was standing in bathroom during my hair and strong waves and shaking and I had to hold on to door frame so I could remain standing. very scary. Things feel down and have some cracks in walls.
- Enid – No knowledge of damage. Just some weak shaking.
- Oklahoma City – Was in 8th floor office and felt the wave. Several other office workers felt the same. Just lasted 3-5 seconds.
||Nov 12 21:40
||MAP I Felt It INFO
- Tulsa, Oklahoma – Nothing major just a little shacking that lasted a good 20 seconds. was felt by my wife as well in owasso
- Wichita, Kansas – House was shaking like made of rubber. About 3:40 pm Nov, 12, 2014
- Arlington Texas – On eighth story of the control tower. We could feel it swaying noticeably.
- Clearwater. Ks – Ceiling fan shaking house shaking
- Wichita – No damage. Not sure whether to put light or moderate, it was definitely significantly stronger and longer than the OK aftershocks that we usually get here, but I’ve felt stronger visiting California.
- Whitewater – This seemed stronger than the one last month, more of a shaking where last one was more rattling. seemed not as long though
- Oklahoma City – I could feel it standing up
- Pittsburg KS – 2nd floor of commercial building, could feel the floor and my chair shaking slightly. Co-worker was on phone with a man in Wichita, he felt it much stronger several seconds before we did.
- Wichita, Kansas – No Damage
- Wichita – Central time 15:40 Strong shaking for about a minute, side to side.
- Wichita – No damage. Light shaking for about 30 seconds.
- WICHITA – FELT MY CHAIR SHAKING AND LOUD GRINDING NOISE
- Wichita, KS – No damage noticed (yet), made my desk chair roll around a bit and my monitors shake
- Tulsa – Rattled the desk lamp and items on a table pretty good. could feel it in an office chair. Roughly 3:40 PM
- OKlahoma City, OK – On the 8th floor… windows slightly rattled like wind, slight “dizzy” feeling in office, one employee felt her chair shake.
- Wichita – shaking for a few seconds, no damage
- Wichita ks – In the Sedgwick county courthouse in Wichita and felt shaking for about 20 seconds
- Derby – No damage moderate shaking
- Wichita – Felt shaking and heard building creak and pop. Shaking went on for 15 seconds or more. Strongest one I have felt since working in this building. No damage.
- TULSA,OK – SITTING AT WORK AT OSUMC AND PICTURES ON WALL SHAKING AND COULD FEEL FLOOR MOVING ALSO.
- Wichita, KS – No damage. Ceiling fixtures were swaying and a faint rumbling could be heard.
- sand springs – i was sitting in a chair at the computer when my chair started shaking. I looked around and both my two dogs were laying still, and not moving. Nobody else was home. I live in a small mobile home. no damage, only lasted about 10 seconds. started at 3:51pm, CST.
- Wichita – Happened at 3:48 PM CST. No Damage however it shook the ground for at least 45 seconds….
- Wichita – Felt like I was “in motion,” like after riding in a car for a long time. I sat still to make sure it wasn’t just in my mind, and I looked at the calendar beside my desk and saw that it was slightly shaking.
- Oklahoma city – No damsge
- Manhattan – slight shaking, 10 seconds
- Wichita – Lasted about 10 seconds. At work, chair shaking, computer monitors shaking.
- Wichita – sitting in the house – all of a sudden the wall started to shake – windows rattles, the TV swayed… lasted few min or less,
- Wichita – Working in office building wichita KS and we shook for a good 30 seconds pretty good.
- Wichita – Whole house shook for about 60 seconds and curio cabinets and other objects shook.
- Wichita – Continued for 1 minute with several immediate aftershocks for another 2 minutes
- Hays – Sitting in class and everything started shaking. I was on the 3rd floor of an academic building
- Emporia, Kansas – Felt the building shaking where I am at in Emporia, KS. No damage or anything. I’ve seen where most of NE Kansas has felt this earthquake.
- Oxford – Shook the whole house and rattled things on the walls, you could feel the shaking.
- Wichita – Wiggling monitors, creaking windows, lamp posts shifting. Moderate shifting in 4th floor of brick building.
- Gardner, KS – Felt the house shaking – wondered why.
- Wichita – Shook the entire building at work!
- Tulsa – Light shaking felt in an office building for approxiamtly 30 seconds.
- iola, kansas – no damage but odd for Kansas
- Wichita – short duration, very noticeable, 3:40 central
- Neodesha – no damage
- Haysville – house shook, couch and ceiling fan shook, no damage noticed as of yet.
- Wichita – I’m on 6th floor of 8 story building. Lasted about 30-40 seconds. Built up and peaked at about 10-15 seconds. Mostly went away for about 20 seconds, then came back at about 50% strength.
- Manhattan – Just saw my computer screens shaking and my chair moved a bit. nothing big.
- Emporia – I was leaning against a table with a glass of water on it. Both the table and the water in the glass begin to shake.
- McPherson, ks – Fracking
- Wichita – As always, it is exciting
- Bartlesville – Made the mini blinds sway in the window and felt shaking while seated in chair.
- wichita – no damage I was in basement swaying lasted maybe 15 sec sensation of 3-6 inches of movement time was 3:38 pm central standard time
- manhattan kansas – at work and heard the building (2 stories) make a noise like it was the wind, looked at the window and the bushes were not moving then for 6 seconds I watched my computer monitor sway and felt the movement also. So crazy, only one other person at work felt it.
- Wichita Kansas – No damage
- Wichita – Sitting in the office on the 2nd floor, noticed cubicles shaking, turned around to see picture frames shaking. Felt light dizziness. No damage visible, haven’t checked property at home yet
- Derby – It shook longer than normal
- McConnell AFB – It lasted longer than what I have experienced in Kansas previously and had a little more shaking to it as well.
- NEWTON KANSAS – IT FELT LIKE A SMALL WAVE.
- Junction city – House began to shake very lightly. Dizzying feeling for about 5 or 6 seconds
- fort riley – I was sitting in my bed and it started shaking and so did my tv
- Parsons, KS – Mild shaking started very light then became a little more intense. Lasted for approximat ely 15 seconds. No damage.
- Wichita, KS – On 16th flr of Epic Center and felt moderate swaying and shaking. Lasted longer than ones in the past. No damage.
- Haysville – The Haysville USD 261 Admin. Building was shaking like crazy. Walls moving very distinctly.
- Tulsa, OK – No damage but could feel the entire building shake and I am in an office building in downtown Tulsa by the BOK Center. It shook for a good 30 seconds.
- Lindsborg – very mild, but noticeable
- Lawrence – swayed back and forth in office chair
- Manhattan, Ks – On second floor of building. Felt slight shaking of walls and chairs for about 10 seconds. No damage.
- Derby – No damage – gentle shaking of office chair and evident in water glass.
- Wichita – I was siting down at my desk and all the suden it felt like i was on a boat in choppy water. I was having a hard time balencing. after the shaking was over i did notice some cracks in my cealing that were not there before.
- Norman, Oklahoma – My chair and desk shook lightly
- Tulsa – office building rattle for a good 20-30 seconds. everything on desk shook.
- Oklahoma City – About 5 or 10 seconds feeling floor shaking at 3:40. Leaves on plant were very visibly rattling. On the 16th floor of a building.
- fall river kansas – It was the strongest I have felt.Oklahoma had a couple that we swayed with .This one shook or hole house with a break then another one
- Manhattan, Kansas – Office on 5th floor swayed.
- Buffalo Oklahoma – Weak to very weak shaking here. Noticed swaying motion under my feet like being in a boat on water and the flat screen monitor I was looking at could be seen wobbling slightly.
- Manhattan – No damage. Recliner and plant stand visibly shaking.
- Stillwater – Woo hoo! Fun ride! Biggest in awhile.
- Wellington Kansas – House shook and rolled twice. I was on the phone and my caller thought the doors and windows were moved due to high winds. There were no winds, it was the house. No house damage that I can see.
- Parsons, Kansas – The sofa shone for about 2-3 seconds.
- Wichita – Whole entire house shook…no damage that I know of
- Kingfisher – Kingfisher Okla Computers and chairs on second floor shaking
- Emporia – Was in an old 2 or 3 story retail business downtown and thought I was getting dizzy for a few seconds , felt like my legs were swaying or weight was shifting back and forth & the round rotating clothing rack I was looking at rotated a bit and I wasn’t touching it! Another person in store commented that she felt like she had shifted position from one leg to the other but didn’t do that herself. No damage. Very minimal feeling.
- Wichita, Kansas – no damage noted. shaking lasted about 15 seconds. I thought the cat was pawing my chair but it wasn’t her.
- Independence, KS – We’ve had heavy winds the last few days and I thought at first it was just a large gust…but nooo.
- Hays, Kansas – Seated at kitchen table and felt table and floor move; could see chair tops shake a little. Front door rattled quite loudly. Shaking seemed to last 8-10 seconds.
- Wichita – 1885 two-story with a limestone foundation. Quite a bit of swaying, cabinet doors swinging, etc. Lasted 15 seconds with at least 1 aftershock.
- Emporia, KS – My desk and everything on it was vibrating. It was very weak, but noticeable.
- wichita – Yo me encontraba en el sotano cuando de repente se empezaron a mover cosas pero no danos gracias a dios
- Derby, KS – I was sitting at my computer in our basement and my office chair (with rollers) was moving back and forth about a half inch for 20 seconds at about 1 to 2 cycles per second. I even heard the rumbling. It sounded like a HUGE truck going down the street.
- KANSAS CITY – MY COMPUTER KEYBOARD VIBRATED FOR ABOUT 45 SECONDS WITH NO APPARENT CAUSE, THEN I HEARD ABOUT THE EARTHQUAKE IN WICHITA!
||Nov 12 21:40
||MAP I Felt It
- Wichita – No damage, but everyone in the building noticed it. Significant shaking of objects on walls.
- Wichita, KS – thought it was caused by a freight train passing — storage carts rocked north /south for about 15 -20 sec
- Douglass, Kansas – No damage noted, light shaking/vibrating of floor, table. Time 3:40pm Central Standard Time
- wichita ks – Was sitting on couch and animals scattered as room started shaking..2 pictures fell off walls
- ANDOVER – AT WORK AND FELT SOME SLIGHT SHAKING
- Wichita, KS – Felt shaking of couch and floor here on ground floor. Heard noise and creaking in structure. Lasted less than a minute. Was not scared though it was frst earthquake for me.
- Wichita – sitting in chair and cubicle shook and lights moving lasted about 10 seconds
- Ft Riley – Work on second floor of hospital. At 1540 hrs noticed about 10 seconds of weak shaking. No damage
- Wichita, Kansas – felt a slight rolling motion some hanging lights were moving etc.
- Wichita – We could feel our chairs shaking and could see the TV waving back and forth on its stand. It was a little stronger and longer than usual. Lasted about ten seconds. No damage.
- Junction City – Shaking from the earthquake was enough to move the blinds so that I could see and hear them moving. Also enough to make the bed sway like waves! Being from Oregon, I recognized the signs and feel of it immediately.
- Wichita, Ks – House shook, rolled. Scared the dogs! No damage seen yet
- Wichita, KS – I was in the basement and felt the house move. Upstairs too. Nothing was disturbed.
- tulsa – Shook my bed
- Wichita – desk in office was shaking for about 15 seconds
- Broken Arrrow – No damage here.
- WICHITA – Swaying shaking seemed to last longer than most of the minor quakes i’ve felt here. About 20 seconds maybe more. Have not checked for damage yet.
- Chanute, Kansas – Same as described for Wichita – 100 miles west of Chanute!
- Wichita, KS – Felt a shaking, thought it was an earthquake but was unsure as i’ve never felt one before. seconds later received text from boyfriend 15 miles to the west that said “earthquake?”
- wichita – I feel it
- Moundridge – Was leaning against the oven and it started shaking
- Coffeyville – Felt it and heard it. Tall vase was shaking on the table. Touched table and could feel the vibration. Had a sense of “hearing rumbling”. Unnerving…
- Wichita, KS – Glass shook with water next to me and spilled and felt considerable shaking but not much damage that I could see
- Tulsa, OK – Felt a definate shaking here on the second floor. This was about 15:40 or so.
- Wichita, Kan. – This is the biggest I’ve felt, but probably light to moderate based on this website’s descriptions.I could feel and see the house shaking and everything inside was knocking and rattling.
- Wichita – Rattled some stuff around pretty good for about a minute, but didn’t knock anything over.
- Whicita – Side to side shaking
- Wichita – Around 1540 on the west side of Wichita, no damage, building shook, desks shook, felt like I was going to pass out, then realized it was an earthquake, lasted around 10-14 seconds
- Wichita, Kansas – We heard a faint nose first followed by light to moderate shaking of the 5 story building. No knowledge of any damage.
- Tulsa – Shook pictures off of the wall.
- Haysville, Kansas – While playing piano, I noticed a bell on an ornament was swinging and chiming loudly. Stopped playing to feel the floor shaking some while bell continued chiming.
- Wichita – No damage. Sitting at my desk and everyone in the office felt it. The building shook and rattled. Some thought they were just having a dizzy spell. No one outside felt it.
- Wellington – Felt some pretty good shaking. Startled us on the 2nd floor and down.
- Wichita, KS – No property damage. Downtown Wichita, east Wichita, Derby (southern suburb).
- Tulsa – Slight vibrations
- Wichita – I was sitting on my bed and it felt like the bed started floating back and forth on a raft. I thought it was my imagination, but when it didn’t stop for 20-30 seconds, I realized what was happening and looked up at the ceiling to decide if I should move in case the fan fell. The nightstand next to me sounded like it was moving, but nothing fell off and I haven’t noticed any damage.
- Wichita, KS – At work and felt the building shaking. Didn’t really register as to what was going on at first, but then realized it was clearly not normal, it was a significant shake and clearly an earthquake.
- Wichita – No damage
- Bartlesville, OK – On 4th floor of office building – felt like someone grabbed the back of my chair and shook it to get my attention.
- Wichita KS – No damage, but was strong enough for pictures to fall off of my walls
- Larned – Office chair moving sideways, swaying felt like someone shaking their leg vigorously.
- Lawrence – Office chair wobbled. Creaking noises in walls as if very strong winds were outside.
- Chapman ,Kansas – Sitting at computer desk and the chair I was sitting at and the desk was shaking!
||Nov 12 20:31
||MAP I Felt It
||Nov 12 20:31
||MAP I Felt It
||Nov 12 15:21
||MAP I Felt It
||Nov 12 15:21
||MAP I Felt It
||Nov 12 14:59
||MAP I Felt It
||Nov 12 14:59
||MAP I Felt It
||Nov 12 01:32
||MAP I Felt It
||Nov 12 01:32
||MAP I Felt It
REAL TIME EARTHQUAKE LISTS – WORLD – REGIONS – COUNTRIES – STATE
Our Fast Earthquake and Tsunami Twitter Accounts : M4+ – ALL – M5+ – M6+ – CHILI – CANADA – BRITISH COLUMBIA – CALIFORNIA – OREGON – WASHINGTON – HAWAII – TEXAS – OKLAHOMA
Other earthquakes in the greater epicenter area
Strongest earthquakes (since 1900) within a 150 km radius from this earthquake
Upload your earthquake photos and videos CLICK HERE TO SEND US YOUR PICTURES AND VIDEOS.
zTime goes here
SHARE YOUR EARTHQUAKE EXPERIENCE WITH US
|Enter Email (not compulsory)
|Country where you felt the earthquake
|City/Village where you felt the earthquake
|Street or suburb (area) where you felt the earthquake
|Latitude (area) where you felt the earthquake
|Longitude (area) where you felt the earthquake
|MMI II (Very weak shaking)
Felt by persons at rest, on upper floors or favorably placed.
|MMI III (Weak shaking)
Felt indoors; hanging objects may swing, vibration similar to passing of light trucks, duration may be estimated, may not be recognized as an earthquake.
|MMI IV (Light shaking)
Generally noticed indoors but not outside. Light sleepers may be awakened. Vibration may be likened to the passing of heavy traffic, or to the jolt of a heavy object falling or striking the building.
Doors and windows rattle. Glassware and crockery rattle. Liquids in open vessels may be slightly disturbed. Standing motorcars may rock.
Walls and frames of buildings, and partitions and suspended ceilings in commercial buildings, may be heard to creak.
|MMI V (Moderate shaking)
Generally felt outside, and by almost everyone indoors. Most sleepers awakened. A few people alarmed.
Small unstable objects are displaced or upset. Some glassware and crockery may be broken. Hanging pictures knock against the wall. Open doors may swing. Cupboard doors secured by magnetic catches may open. Pendulum clocks stop, start, or change rate.
Some large display windows cracked. A few earthenware toilet fixtures cracked.
|MMI VI (Strong shaking)
People Felt by all. People and animals alarmed. Many run outside. Difficulty experienced in walking steadily.
Objects fall from shelves. Pictures fall from walls. Some furniture moved on smooth floors, some unsecured free-standing fireplaces moved. Glassware and crockery broken. Very unstable furniture overturned. Small church and school bells ring. Appliances move on bench or table tops. Filing cabinets or “easy glide” drawers may open (or shut).
Slight damage to buildings with low standard. Some stucco or cement plaster falls. Large display windows broken. Damage to a few weak domestic chimneys, some may fall.
Trees and bushes shake, or are heard to rustle. Loose material may be dislodged from sloping ground, e.g. existing slides, talus slopes, shingle slides.
|MMI VII (Very strong shaking)
General alarm. Difficulty experienced in standing. Noticed by motorcar drivers who may stop.
Large bells ring. Furniture moves on smooth floors, may move on carpeted floors. Substantial damage to fragile contents of buildings.
Unreinforced stone and brick walls cracked. Low standard buildings cracked with some minor masonry falls. A few instances of damage to buildings of ordinary workmanship. Unbraced parapets, unbraced brick gables, and architectural ornaments fall. Roofing tiles, especially ridge tiles may be dislodged. Many unreinforced domestic chimneys damaged, often falling from roof-line. Water tanks Type I burst. A few instances of damage to brick veneers and plaster or cement-based linings. Unrestrained water cylinders (hot-water cylinders) may move and leak. Some common windows cracked. Suspended ceilings damaged.
Water made turbid by stirred up mud. Small slides such as falls of sand and gravel banks, and small rock-falls from steep slopes and cuttings. Instances of settlement of unconsolidated or wet, or weak soils. Some fine cracks appear in sloping ground. A few instances of liquefaction (i.e. small water and sand ejections).
|MMI VIII (Severe shaking)
People Alarm may approach panic. Steering of motorcars greatly affected. Structures : Low standard buildings heavily damaged, some collapse. ordinary workmanship buildings damaged, some with partial collapse. Reinforced masonry or concrete buildings damaged in some cases. A few instances of damage to buildings and bridges designed and built to resist earthquakes. Monuments and pre-1976 elevated tanks and factory stacks twisted or brought down. Some pre-1965 infill masonry panels damaged. A few post-1980 brick veneers damaged. Decayed timber piles of houses damaged. Houses not secured to foundations may move. Most unreinforced domestic chimneys damaged, some below roof-line, many brought down. Environment : Cracks appear on steep slopes and in wet ground. Small to moderate slides in roadside cuttings and unsupported excavations. Small water and sand ejections and localized lateral spreading adjacent to streams, canals, lakes, etc.
|MMI IX (Violent shaking)
Structures Many low standard buildings destroyed. Ordinary workmanship buildings heavily damaged, some collapse. Reinforced masonry or concrete buildings damaged, some with partial collapse. Buildings and bridges designed and built to resist earthquakes damaged in some cases, some with flexible frames seriously damaged. Damage or permanent distortion to some buildings and bridges, designed and built to normal use standards. Houses not secured to foundations shifted off. Brick veneers fall and expose frames. Environment : Cracking of ground conspicuous. Landsliding general on steep slopes. Liquefaction effects intensified and more widespread, with large lateral spreading and flow sliding adjacent to streams, canals, lakes, etc.
|Write your experience below + let us know if your property has been damaged (even slight damage) or if you have knowledge of any damage caused by this earthquake. (max. 500 characters)
|characters allowed characters typed extra