- ticket title
- Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Libya’s Migrant Report: Round 26 | June – July 2019
- UNHCR Update Libya (13 September 2019)
- IOM Returns 127 Stranded Migrants Safely to 15 Countries Across Africa, Asia
- Scarred by Libya Abuse, Migrants Hope for New Life in Europe
- Nigeria’s child detainees, Myanmar’s ‘out of control’ military, and a ‘safe zone’ in Syria: The Cheat Sheet
|U.S. Department of Defense
|Release No. NR-014-17||January 19, 2017|
Statement By Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Airstrikes in Libya ?
In conjunction with the Libyan Government of National Accord, the U.S. military conducted precision airstrikes Wednesday night destroying two ISIL camps 45 kilometers southwest of Sirte. The ISIL terrorists targeted included individuals who fled to the remote desert camps from Sirte in order to reorganize, and they posed a security threat to Libya, the region, and U.S. national interests. While we are still evaluating the results of the strikes, the initial assessment indicates they were successful. This action was authorized by the President as an extension of the successful operation the U.S. military conducted last year to support Libyan forces in freeing Sirte from ISIL control. The United States remains prepared to further support Libyan efforts to counter terrorist threats and to defeat ISIL in Libya. We are committed to maintaining pressure on ISIL and preventing them from establishing safe haven. These strikes will degrade ISIL’s ability to stage attacks against Libyan forces and civilians working to stabilize Sirte, and demonstrate our resolve in countering the threat posed by ISIL to Libya, the United States and our allies.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|