- ticket title
- EU High Representative For Foreign Affairs And Security Policy Calls For Calm And Respect For Truce
- Algerian President: We Are Ready To Help Restore Peace To Libya
- Libyas UN-backed government suspends participation in Geneva peace talks
- Update: Libyas east-based army says its attack on Turkish ship aims to prevent terrorists
- Update: UN tries to salvage Libya talks after government announces pullout
TRIPOLI, Libya Two people were killed and eight others injured, late Tuesday, in heavy shelling of unknown source in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, amid violent clashes between the east-based army and the UN-backed government, local official, said.
The number of victims of the indiscriminate shelling on Abusalim (southern Tripoli) is two dead and eight injured, Osama Ali, spokesman of the Heath Ministry's Emergency Department, said.
Other areas in the city were also hit by the shelling, but casualties have not been confirmed yet, Ali added.
The army and the government exchanged accusations with regard to the shelling.
The east-based army, led by Khalifa Haftar, has been leading a military campaign since early April, to take over western Libya, particularly Tripoli where the UN-backed government is based.
Clashes between the two sides, so far killed and injured hundreds of people, and forced thousands of civilians to flee their homes.
Libya has been struggling to make a democratic transition, amid insecurity and chaos, ever since the fall of former leader Muammar Gaddafi's regime in 2011.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK