- ticket title
- Putin to take part in Berlin conference on Libya on January 19
- Libya strongman Haftar in Greece for talks ahead of Berlin peace conference
- Six months following the enforced disappearance of Siham Sergewa, UNSMIL calls for her immediate release
- Libya: Tens of thousands of children at risk amidst violence and chaos of unrelenting conflict
- UNHCR Update Libya (17 January 2020)
TRIPOLI, Libya� Libyan security, on Friday, arrested a senior terrorist leader of the pro-Qaeda Shura Council of Mujahideen of Darna, in the city of Misurata, some 250 km east of the capital, Tripoli.
A special security force of Misurata arrested Abdulgader Abdussalam Azzuz, a Libyan citizen and a leader of the terrorist Shura Council of Mujahideen of Darna, a source in the Interior Ministry told Xinhua.
The arrest operation was carried out after information was received about Azzuz's presence in a farm, in the outskirts of Misurata, the source said.
Azzuz has been identified and arrested as he is wanted by the Attorney General for direct involvement in dozens of terrorist operations, the source added.
Libyan security has been monitoring 53-year-old Azzuz, amid conflicting reports about his fate since 2018.
Azzuz, the Mufti of the Shura Council, was imprisoned for 14 years during the former regime rule, before he was released in 2008.
The eastern-based army announced taking over the entire city of Darna in Jun, 2018, and defeating the Shura Council, after besieging the city for four years. However, the army still engages in clashes with remnants of the militants in central Darna.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK