- ticket title
- Deputy Minister of Interior Visits Narcotics Department
- GNA Council of Ministers Announces Resumption of Air Traffic at Amitiq Airport
- German Foreign Minister: Libya’s neighboring countries suffer from negative consequences of Libyan Crisis
- Libya – IDP and Returnee Key Findings Report 28 (Nov-Dec 2019)
- Activities of Secretary-General in Germany, 18-20 January
Government of Canada supports the Classic Theatre Cobalt and Pied Piper Kidshows
February 11, 2015 – Cobalt, Ontario – Department of Canadian Heritage
Jay Aspin, Member of Parliament (Nipissing–Timiskaming), on behalf of the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, today announced $38,000 in funding for the Classic Theatre Cobalt and Pied Piper Kidshows.
Of the total funding, which is being provided through the Canada Arts Presentation Fund, $16,000 was allotted for the theatre’s 2015–2016 programming. The remaining $22,000 was allotted for the 2015–2016 and 2016–2017 editions of Pied Piper Kidshows, a series of performances for young audiences.
- The Classic Theatre Cobalt is a 260-seat theatre built in 1926.
- Located in the historic town of Cobalt, this theatre hosts more than 70 music, theatre, comedy, dance and variety shows each year.
- Pied Piper Kidshows has been presenting children’s shows since 1979. These performances, which showcase a variety of popular musical and artistic disciplines, reach 800 young people and their families each year.
- Alongside the performances, the artists also present workshops in schools and seniors’ residences in the community.
“I am delighted that our Government is supporting organizations that are so involved in their community. These performers have been able to reach out to people, in particular youth, to make them aware of different forms of art and build the audience of tomorrow.”
—The Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
“By offering quality programming year after year, Classic Theatre Cobalt and Pied Piper Kidshows not only promote our artistic heritage, but also enhance the cultural vitality of the Timiskaming region.”
—Jay Aspin, Member of Parliament (Nipissing–Timiskaming)
“Classic Theatre Cobalt is the only soft-seat theatre serving the South Temiskaming region as a centre for the arts. As we are a not-for-profit charitable organization, run by a volunteer Board of Directors, our programming and organizational health relies heavily on the valuable support we receive from the Department of Canadian Heritage. We are proud to announce the support of the Canada Arts Presentation Fund in our commitment to bringing a variety of arts and culture to our community.”
—Rebecca Desmarais, on behalf of the Board of Directors, Classic Theatre Cobalt
“After 35 years, Pied Piper Kidshows is so proud to continue bringing high-quality professional performing arts performances and in-school workshops to families in South Temiskaming. We are so thankful to the Department of Canadian Heritage for supporting this work to bring the arts to a whole population who might otherwise not have access.”
—Amanda Mongeon, Director, Pied Piper Kidshows
For more information (media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
Manager of Regional Communications