Thursday, 12/12/2019 | 8:06 UTC+0
Libyan Newswire

OSCE Chairperson-in-Office Steinmeier and OSCE Secretary General Zannier strongly condemn horrific attack by extremist gunmen in Tunisia

BERLIN/VIENNA, 8 March 2016 – OSCE Chairperson‑in‑Office, Federal Foreign Minister Frank‑Walter Steinmeier and OSCE Secretary General Lamberto Zannier today condemned the horrific attack by violent extremist gunmen on military barracks in the Tunisian town of Ben Guerdane, bordering Libya.

Steinmeier and Zannier offered condolences to the families of those killed.

Chairperson-in-Office Steinmeier said: “The attempt to destabilise Tunisia’s democracy through murder and violence must not be allowed to succeed. Not only Germany but the OSCE as whole are actively supporting Tunisia along its path, also and particularly in the fight against the terrorist threat.” In this vein, Steinmeier underlined the importance of international support in strengthening Tunisia’s border security and highlighted urgent need for the successful stabilisation of Libya to prevent terrorists from using Tunisia’s neighbouring country as a safe haven.

Zannier said that attacks like this one will only strengthen the OSCE’s resolve to stand united against terrorism. “As reaffirmed during the visit of the Tunisian National Quartet, winner of the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize, to the OSCE last week, we are determined to step up our co-operation with Tunisia and our other Mediterranean Partners for Co-operation. Fighting terrorism and countering violent extremism will continue to be a key priority of our partnership.”

Steinmeier and Zannier emphasized that terrorism can only be defeated through a sustained and comprehensive approach involving the active participation and collaboration of state and civil society actors, as well as international and regional organizations.

Tunisia is one of the OSCE’s 11 Partners for Co-operation.

-->