- ticket title
- Mixed migration routes and dynamics in Libya, May – December 2018 (January 2019)
- Security Council Committee on Libya Meets with Panel of Experts
- UN envoy meets several members of House of Representatives
- UN envoy meets writers and artists in Benghazi
- Salama in Benghazi for Meeting With Prominent Figures
TRIPOLI, The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said that more than 600,000 illegal immigrants of 41 different nationalities are currently in Libya.
“In July and August 2018, IOM identified at least 669,176 migrants currently in Libya. Migrants were identified in 100 municipalities, within 554 communities and originated from more than 41 countries,” IOM said.
“The top 5 nationalities identified are from: Niger, Egypt, Chad, Sudan and Nigeria,” the Organization added.
Migrant shelters in Libya are crowded with thousands of migrants who have been rescued at sea or arrested by the Libyan security services.
A voluntary return program is carried out by the organization in Libya in cooperation with local authorities, aiming to arrange for the return of illegal migrants stranded in Libya to their countries of origin.
Libya has become a preferred departure point for illegal migrants hoping to cross the Mediterranean Sea into Europe due to insecurity and chaos in the North African country following the 2011 uprising that toppled former leader Muammar Gaddafi.
Meanwhile, Libya’s UN-backed prime minister, Fayez Serraj, on Saturday confirmed that the government’s regular forces will take over public buildings in Tripoli and other cities in Libya.
Serraj made his remarks during a meeting with members of the security arrangement committee in the capital city of Tripoli, according to a statement by the PM’s information office.
“The head of the committee, General Hammad Ahmed Abboud, presented a detailed explanation on the measures taken to secure Tripoli and establish public order, in accordance with the tasks set by the committee’s decision, including taking over of (public) headquarters and regular forces stationing in and around the capital,” the statement said.
“The Prime Minister discussed what was presented during the meeting, noting that what is being accomplished in Tripoli will extend to other Libyan cities,” the statement added.
The new security arrangements, which focus on forming joint police and army forces to secure Tripoli, were adopted by the government last month when violence broke out in the capital city between the government forces and several armed groups.
The UN Support Mission in Libya earlier on Saturday praised the new security arrangements in Tripoli.
The Ministry of Interior announced Thursday that an armed group called al-Nawasi handed over Tripoli seaport it was controlling, as part of the new security arrangements.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK