Links for 2012-05-22 [Digg]
May 23, 2012
- Opinion: Redefining the ‘Arab Spring’: Is Chaos Overtaking Revolution? – By Ramzy Baroud
The age of revolutionary romance is over. Various Arab countries are now facing hard truths. Millions of Arabs merely want to live with a semblance of dignity, free from tyranny and continuous anxiety over the future. This unromantic reality also includes outside ‘players’, whose presence is of no positive value to genuine revolutionary movements, whether in Egypt, Syria, or anywhere else.
- Al-Megrahi Laid to Rest at Janzour Ceremony
Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, 60, the only man to be convicted of the Lockerbie tragedy in 1988 that killed 270 people was laid to rest in a desert grave Monday in a private funeral attended by family members and friends in a western suburb of the Libyan capital, Tripoli. He died at his home in Tripoli Sunday.
- Tunisia Ready to Extradite Former Gaddafi PM to Libya
Tunisia is reported ready to extradite former Libyan prime minister Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi to Libya. However, it was made clear "guarantees" are sought to ensure a fair trial.
- Number of Registered Voters for Libya Election Exceeds 75%, 44% Women
According to the Field Coordination Department at the High National Elections Commission, HNEC, in Libya, the number of registered voters in the elections for the General National Congress has exceeded two million and a half voters.
- Freed Palestinina Writer Describes Syrian Prison as "Human Slaughterhouse"
Fifty-six-year-old Palestinian writer, Salameh Kaileh who was jailed in Syria for nearly three weeks described the facilities at the Syrian jailhouse as "human slaughterhouses."