- ticket title
- German Government: We Expect Sustainable Ceasefire In Libya
- Italian Foreign Minister: EU Approves Mission To Prevent Weapons Entering Libya
- Algerian Foreign Minister Arrives In Tripoli
- As Libya talks resume in Geneva, UN negotiator seeks to overcome sticking points
- UN-Backed Government in Libya Suspends Talks After Attack
Libya’s outgoing provisional Congress ‘plans to reopen’
Sun 24 Aug 2014 at 10:50
NNA – Libya’s outgoing provisional General National Congress (GNC) is to resume operations despite being superseded by an elected national parliament, its spokesman said on Saturday, according to AFP.
“The General National Congress will hold an emergency meeting in Tripoli to save the country’s sovereignty,” spokesman Omar Ahmidan said on a local television station.
He made the announcement after Islamists said they have lost confidence in the new parliament, holed up in the eastern city of Tobruk because of the violence in the capital Tripoli.
The Islamists, who dominated the Congress, accuse parliament of colluding with Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, which they allege carried out air raids on Islamist fighters near Tripoli.