- ticket title
- Libya: Humanitarian Dashboard (Jan – July 2019)
- Libyan Coast Guard picks up nearly 500 migrants in region surrounding Tripoli
- How Pompeo Took Charge of US Response to Attack on Saudi Oil Fields
- Security Council Committee on Libya Meets with Libyan Investment Authority
- Migrant shooting highlights concern about Libyan coast guard
Libya’s outgoing provisional Congress ‘plans to reopen’
Sun 24 Aug 2014 at 10:50
NNA – Libya’s outgoing provisional General National Congress (GNC) is to resume operations despite being superseded by an elected national parliament, its spokesman said on Saturday, according to AFP.
“The General National Congress will hold an emergency meeting in Tripoli to save the country’s sovereignty,” spokesman Omar Ahmidan said on a local television station.
He made the announcement after Islamists said they have lost confidence in the new parliament, holed up in the eastern city of Tobruk because of the violence in the capital Tripoli.
The Islamists, who dominated the Congress, accuse parliament of colluding with Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, which they allege carried out air raids on Islamist fighters near Tripoli.