- ticket title
- DTM Libya – Murzuq Flash Update (20 August 2019)
- US State Department: US and Egyptian Foreign Ministers Stress Importance of Political Solution in Libya
- Committee Set up to Follow Court Ruling on Libyan Assets Abroad Convenes
- Deadly airstrikes and drone hits displace thousands of civilians in Libya oasis town
- Niger: Country Operation Update, June-July 2019
TRIPOLI Libyan security arrested a senior terrorist leader of the pro-Qaeda Shura Council of Mujahideen of Darna in the city of Misurata, some 250 km east of the capital Tripoli.
A special security force of Misurata on Friday arrested Abdulgader Abdussalam Azzuz, a Libyan citizen and a leader of the terrorist Shura Council of Mujahideen of Darna, a source in the Interior Ministry said.
The arrest operation was carried out after information was received about Azzuz's presence in a farm in the outskirts of Misurata, the source said.
Azzuz has been identified and arrested as he is wanted by the Attorney General for direct involvement in dozens of terrorist operations, the source added.
Libyan security has been monitoring 53-year-old Azzuz amid conflicting reports about his fate since 2018.
Azzuz, the Mufti of the Shura Council, was imprisoned for 14 years during the former regime rule before he was released in 2008.
The eastern-based army announced taking over the entire city of Darna in June 2018 and defeating the Shura Council, after besieging the city for four years. However, the army still engages in clashes with remnants of the militants in central Darna.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK