- ticket title
- Libya: Humanitarian Dashboard (Jan – July 2019)
- Libyan Coast Guard picks up nearly 500 migrants in region surrounding Tripoli
- How Pompeo Took Charge of US Response to Attack on Saudi Oil Fields
- Security Council Committee on Libya Meets with Libyan Investment Authority
- Migrant shooting highlights concern about Libyan coast guard
The Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Paolo Gentiloni, met with Libyan Foreign Minister, Mohamed Taher Siala, in Washington today, on the sidelines of the Ministerial Meeting of the Global Coalition to Counter Daesh.
Minister Gentiloni expressed the hope that tangible progress be made in improving security conditions in Libya, starting in Tripoli. In this perspective, it is essential to concretize the establishment of the Presidential Guard announced in mid-May.
"Italy, together with other allied Countries, is willing to offer all the necessary support, should there be a request from the Libyan government. This support could concretize in several forms, starting with providing training for Libya's security forces," said Minister Gentiloni.
Mr Gentiloni reaffirmed the need that the prospected steps forward envisage the progressive establishment of a single national security force including General Haftar, on the obvious condition that he acknowledge the political authority of the Government of National Accord.