Thursday, 19/9/2019 | 5:04 UTC+0
Libyan Newswire

LIBYA: MILITIAS LOSE BENGHAZI DISTRICT TO HAFTAR’S FORCES AFTER MONTHS OF FIGHTING

BENGHAZI (LIBYA), Forces loyal to the military leader, Field Marshall Khalifa Haftar, said they had driven local militias out of the Ganfouda district of Benghazi.

The area had been under siege for months and saw some of the worst fighting over control of the city.

Some fighters were said to be affiliated to the Daesh group or Al Qaeda.

The besieged district, nine miles west of the city centre, has been largely cut-off from the rest of Benghazi in blockades setup by Haftar's forces.

His forces are not being recognised by Libya's UN-backed government.

The spokesman for Haftar's forces - known as the Libyan National Army - said they had freed the neighbourhood, but some militants had fled to a nearby area known as the "12 blocks".

Residents said that militias still control some parts of central Benghazi, though there have been no clashes there recently.

Libya's unrest since the 2011 ousting of Muammar Gaddafi saw extremist organisations, including the Daesh group, gain a foothold in the country.

Haftar's forces and rival fighters loyal to the UN-backed Tripoli-based government inflicted a string of setbacks on the militias.

But the militias still control the central Benghazi districts of Al-Saberi and Souq al-Hout, according to Haftar's forces.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

-->