- ticket title
- Putin to take part in Berlin conference on Libya on January 19
- Libya strongman Haftar in Greece for talks ahead of Berlin peace conference
- Six months following the enforced disappearance of Siham Sergewa, UNSMIL calls for her immediate release
- Libya: Tens of thousands of children at risk amidst violence and chaos of unrelenting conflict
- UNHCR Update Libya (17 January 2020)
TRIPOLI, An armed group has handed over Tripoli’s seaport to the Libyan government as part of the government’s new security arrangements, the Interior Ministry said.
The seaport was surrendered by al-Nawasi armed group, one of the largest armed groups which controls a number of public buildings in the capital, the ministry noted.
The new security arrangements, which focus on forming joint police and army forces to secure Tripoli, were adopted by the government last month when violence broke out in the capital city between the government forces and several armed groups.
The fighting lasted almost a month, killing and injuring hundreds of people, and forced many families to flee their homes.
On Sept. 12, UN Special Envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame announced the start of the implementation of the new security arrangements.
Source: NAM NEW NETWORK