- ticket title
- UNICEF / WORLD REFUGEE DAY
- LIBYA / GRANDI REFUGEE EVACUATION
- Joint Statement on World Refugee Day 2018
- Draft opinion – General budget of the European Union for the financial year 2019 – all sections – PE 623.654v01-00 – Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Joint statement on World Refugee Day 2018
10 Jan 2018Listen /
Social media companies, in particular Facebook, need to do more to “help explain the dangers” of embarking on migrant journeys in search of a better life.
That's according to Leonard Doyle, Director of the Media and Communication Division for the UN migration agency, IOM.
He was speaking following reports that close to 200 migrants or refugees are feared dead at sea already this year, along the perilous central Mediterranean migration route.
The Libyan coast guard reported that up to 100 were missing on Wednesday alone.
Mr Doyle told UN News that smugglers were using Facebook to attract customers for their illegal trafficking businesses, making false promises about reaching safety in Europe.
He spoke to Florence Westergard on the phone from Geneva.