- ticket title
- Libya: Humanitarian Dashboard (Jan – July 2019)
- Libyan Coast Guard picks up nearly 500 migrants in region surrounding Tripoli
- How Pompeo Took Charge of US Response to Attack on Saudi Oil Fields
- Security Council Committee on Libya Meets with Libyan Investment Authority
- Migrant shooting highlights concern about Libyan coast guard
Iran Press TV
Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:54AM
Separate US drone attacks have killed four people in the southwestern Yemeni province of Bayda.
Yemeni security sources, who were speaking on condition of anonymity, said the first drone strike hit a vehicle carrying three people, purported to be al-Qaeda suspects, in Sawma’ah district in the province on Saturday.
A day earlier, another drone attack had purportedly killed a local military instructor for the terrorist group in the same province. Among the fatalities of the Saturday attack was Abu Anis al-Abi, identified as an area field commander.
The al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has taken advantage of the chaos and breakdown of security in Yemen to tighten its grip on the southern and southeastern parts of the Arab country.
The US carries out drone attacks in Yemen and several other countries, claiming to be targeting al-Qaeda elements; but, local sources say civilians have been the main victims of the attacks.
Last week, American intelligence officials said as many as 117 civilians had been killed in at least 526 drone strikes conducted during former US president Barack Obama’s terms in office. The attacks had been carried out in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and elsewhere.
The drone strikes in Yemen continue alongside the Saudi military aggression against the impoverished conflict-ridden country.
Saudi Arabia has been incessantly pounding Yemen since March 2015 in an unsuccessful attempt to reinstate a former government. The United Nations recently said that about 10,000 had been killed in the war.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|