- ticket title
- Libya: Russian FM calls for early ceasefire at meeting with UN-backed GNA officials
- EASTERN FORCES QUIT LIBYAN CAPITAL AFTER YEAR-LONG ASSAULT
- Libya: Landmines Left After Armed Group Withdraws [EN/AR]
- Ethiopian Diaspora Champions Digital Apps in Fight Against COVID
- How COVID Is Affecting Elections in Africa
20 May 2017
The following statement was issued today by the Spokesman for UN Secretary-General António Guterres:
The Secretary-General is deeply concerned about the military escalation at the Brak al-Shati air base in southern Libya and calls on all parties to exercise restraint and restore calm. He is particularly disturbed by the high number of fatalities as well as reports of summary executions of civilians, which, if confirmed, may constitute war crimes. The continued insecurity in Libya is a reminder that there is no military solution. The Secretary-General therefore urges all key Libyan stakeholders to recommit to the political dialogue and engage constructively towards that goal.
The Secretary-General appreciates the efforts of a number of regional and neighbouring countries for their contributions aimed at strengthening the dialogue between key stakeholders in support of the overall United Nations-led process.
For information media. Not an official record.