- ticket title
- German charity Sea-Eye says 78 migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- Libya: 24 killed in clashes as UN condemns
- Turkish Pres Erdogan discuss Libya conflict on Algeria visit
- UN report urges accountability for Libya airstrike deaths [EN/AR]
- The airstrikes on the Daman building complex, including the Tajoura Detention Centre, 2 July 2019
Government of Canada supports the 21st annual New Ross Christmas Festival
November 27, 2014 – Halifax, Nova Scotia – Department of Canadian Heritage
The Christmas Tree Capital of the World knows how to throw a party and bring holiday cheer to town. Again this year, the public is invited to attend a pre-Christmas celebration presented by the New Ross Regional Development Society.
Gerald Keddy, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue and for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and Member of Parliament (South Shore–St. Margaret’s), today announced that the Society is receiving $2,000 in funding through the Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage program. He made this announcement on behalf of the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.
The funding will support the 21st edition of the New Ross Christmas Festival, taking place from December 5 to 7. Residents and visitors in the region will be able to enjoy musical performances, heritage craft demonstrations and historical displays presented by local artists, artisans and historical performers. Traditional carolling will also be featured throughout the Festival.
- The New Ross Regional Development Society promotes the area’s main industry as well as local arts and heritage.
- Known as the Christmas Tree Capital of the World, New Ross bustles with activity at the first snowfall, as local Christmas tree producers prepare shipments for as far away as Europe and California.
- New Ross is the home of Nova Scotia’s Ross Farm Museum (a living museum of agriculture), the Christmas Tree Interpretive Centre, and the Hildaniel Brown Museum.
“Our Government is proud to support local cultural events that reflect the essential character of our communities. New Ross certainly knows how to celebrate its rich culture and heritage, bringing festival-goers together in a fun community event.”
—The Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
“I am pleased that our Government is supporting the New Ross Christmas Festival, which allows residents to kick off the holiday season by enjoying the talents of local artists, artisans and historical performers.”
—Gerald Keddy, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue and for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and Member of Parliament (South Shore–St. Margaret’s)
“With this funding, we will host our 21st annual New Ross Christmas Festival, which is a weekend of fun for the whole family. New Ross functions at full capacity as residents and visitors stroll through craft fairs, enjoy delicious turkey dinners or search for the perfect New Ross balsam fir tree to adorn their home during the holidays.”
—Phil Edwards, Festival Coordinator, New Ross Regional Development Society
For more information (media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
Department of Canadian Heritage