- ticket title
- Libya: Tripoli Clashes Situational Report No.14 (As of 20 April 2019)
- Tunisian Foreign Ministry: Efforts Underway to Hold Meeting for Foreign Ministers of Tunisia, Egypt and Algeria to Halt Military Confrontations in Libya
- African Asylum-Seekers Could Bear Brunt of Proposed Travel Curbs
- Italian President: No to the Mediterranean to be a theatre for conflict over Libya
- Flights resume at Amitiq airport
TRIPOLI, A car bomb explosion killed six people and injured more than 20 people in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi late Thursday, Xinhua news agency reported.
The blast occurred on Jamal Abdannaser street near Tibisti Hotel, Capt. Tariq al-Kharraz, spokesman for Benghazi joint security chamber, told local the TV channel Libya Al-Hadath.
The area was closed off for fear of similar attacks.
The Libyan TV channel released images of the aftermath of the explosion, showing a number of burnt vehicles and the massive destruction in the street, as well as ambulances transporting victims.
"It is too early to reveal any information related to the attack," which he said was "purely a terrorist act," the spokesperson said.
Benghazi, Libya's second largest city, has frequently been targeted by car bombs and suicide attacks.
Due to the deteriorating security situation, the city set up a joint security chamber comprising the army and police officers.
Source: Nam News Network