Monday, 23/9/2019 | 2:30 UTC+0
Libyan Newswire

Call For Ramadan Truce In Libya Ignored: UN

UNITED NATIONS�Fighting continues on the outskirts of Tripoli despite the call for a Ramadan truce in Libya beginning on Monday, a UN spokesman said.

Unfortunately, the truce has so far not been observed and fighting continues on the outskirts of Tripoli, said Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) in the capital city on Sunday called for an extendable one-week humanitarian truce starting on the first day of Ramadan, which falls on Monday, during which all parties pledge to halt all forms of military operations, Dujarric said, adding that UNSMIL renewed its call to all parties to abide by the truce.

The objective is to allow the delivery of humanitarian aid to those in need and to ensure the freedom of movement of civilians, the spokesman told a regular press briefing.

Our humanitarian partners tell us that fighting continues in and around Tripoli, he said. Up to 104 civilian casualties, including 23 civilian deaths, have so far been verified by the health sector since the assault on Tripoli started a month ago, according to him.

Civilians continued to be driven from their homes by the fighting, with more than 56,000 people now displaced, according to the UN Migration Agency.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said multiple conflict-affected areas remain largely inaccessible to humanitarian workers, while conditions for civilians trapped in these areas continue to deteriorate.

The spokesman said most displaced people are staying in urban areas with friends or family, or in rented accommodation. There are 29 collective shelters in operation, housing close to 3,000 people.

Dujarric also said that UNSMIL warned parties over the weekend to focus on combating terrorism because terrorist groups seek to exploit the fighting in and around Tripoli to expand their presence in Libya.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

-->