- ticket title
- Italian Foreign Minister: New European Treaty on Migration Soon
- United Nations Support Mission in Libya (S/2020/41) [EN/AR]
- Trump administration plans to add Nigeria and six other nations to travel ban list: reports
- Surprise In Belarus, Kyrgyzstan About Reports On Expanded U.S. Travel Ban
- Trump Says U.S. Will Add ‘A Couple’ Of Countries To Travel-Ban List
13 Nov 2014
Ms. Mlambo-Ngcuka meets with newly appointed UN Women Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia, Farhan Akhtar. Photo: UN Women/Gaganjit Singh
Men should respect women, not just in words but in action, the Bollywood actor, singer and filmmaker Farhan Akhtar has urged.
Mr Akhtar has been named South Asia Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women, an organization dedicated to gender equality and empowerment.
He’s the first man in the history of the organization to be chosen.
The Indian celebrity also represents the voice of many men who are concerned about violence against women.
He launched a campaign in 2013 called MARD, Men against Rape and Discrimination.
“My MARD campaign goes out to all men to respect women, not just in their word but in their actions. We have to encourage young boys to think differently, and respect women and treat them as equal so that we can see a generational change throughout the world.”
Farhan Akhtar joins other Bollywood celebrities who have taken on the role of Goodwill Ambassador like Priyanka Chopra, Celina Jaitley and Aichwarya Rai Bachchan.
Jocelyne Sambira, United Nations.