- ticket title
- UN rights experts warn new EU policy on boat rescues will cause more people to drown
- ”شركة أدوية الحكمة” توسّع نطاق اتفاقية تراخيص الأدوية مع شركة “تاكيدا”
- أمانة تطلق بوابتها الإلكترونية الجديدة، ترايدكابتن.كوم
- مكتب مكتب المراجع السكانية يتوقع وصول عدد سكان العالم في العام 2050 إلى 9.8 مليار نسمة
- Written question – Retabling of question on cooperation with Libya on the management of its land borders – E-005149/2017
The main objectives of the Joint Communication concerning Migration on the Central Mediterranean route(1) are to save lives at sea, step up the fight against smugglers and traffickers, protect migrants and improve migration and border management. These measures aim to improve Libya's capacity to control its Southern border, the route through Libya, as well as its territorial waters. The Joint Communication does not foresee the return of migrants to Libya by EU Member States or the EU.
The EU is funding a number of programmes in Libya including over EUR 50 million aimed at supporting rights-based migration management, protecting and increasing the resilience of migrants and host communities. Two projects, implemented by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), include training of the Libyan Coastguard for procedures after the disembarkation of migrants. Since October 2016, EUNAVFOR MED Operation SOPHIA has assisted in the development of the capacities of the Libyan Coastguard. This is also part of the aims of the EU funded ‘SEAHORSE Mediterranean Network’ project. These training programmes include important human rights/refugee law components.
An additional EUR 90 million support package, approved in April 2017, supports IOM, UNHCR, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH in reinforcing protection and resilience of migrants and host communities, and improving migration management in Libya.